STRANGER THAN SCIENCE FICTION

Will you join the dark side, or find the light?

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Interstate Stream of Consciousness

The other morning I was driving down the interstate on my way to work. I came up over a hill, and there it was; the rising sun in all its majesty. It was just above the horizon which made it look huge, and there was a haze in the air which made it easy to look at. I was overwhelmed by its beauty and shook my fist shouting, "Oooh yeah!!!"

Then I thought, "God must think I'm pretty cool to be praising the beauty of the sunrise like that."

But then I thought, "Maybe God's angry with me now for being so prideful and pleased with myself over a sunrise that EVERYONE should be cheering for." This made me uncomfortable and I worried that the smite might come down.

Then, up ahead on the side of the road, I saw a dead deer. That's when I realized that life is too short to be so concerned with every little worry like that, and maybe God was trying to show me this by sending me past this dead deer.

As I passed the deer, I realized that it was actually just a piece of furniture that must have fallen off a truck. I watched it in my rear view mirror with a grin, thinking how silly it was to keep letting my mind race like that.

Then, as I took my eyes back to the road, I had just enough time to see a deer running out in front of my car. It came through the windshield and punctured my left lung.

The hospital stay was a little long, but well needed. The frustrating thing about it was that my patient bed was positioned in relation to the window, so that the sunrise was JUST out of view. This wouldn't have been so annoying if the other patient in my room would have stopped cheering every damn morning; prideful bastard.

No comments: